Madeley is a village in Staffordshire. It is split into three parts: Madeley, Middle Madeley, and Little Madeley. Madeley Heath is also considered by many to be part of Madeley. In the 2001, the population was recorded as 4,386.
Madeley is found 5 miles west of Newcastle-under-Lyme town centre and is close to the Shropshire and Cheshire borders. To the north are the villages of Betley and Wrinehill. South is the hamlet of Baldwin's Gate. To the east is Keele, the site of Keele University as well as Silverdale, whilst to the west lies Onneley and Woore.
Madeley is derived from Old English, believd to be Madanleag, meaning "Mada's meadow".
Madeley is recorded in the Domesday Book as having 2,160 acres of wood and 4 plough teams.
The first Madeley Old Manor was built by Robert de Stafford, with the local church being founded in 1200.
Heighley Castle was built in 1226 by Henry de Audley and ordered to be demolished by Parliamentary committee sitting at Stafford in 1644 to prevent its use by Royalists. Little remains today but some of the ruins are still visible during winter through the vegetation surrounding the area. There is also Madeley Old Hall.
A significant feature and well known landmark of the village is Madeley Mill standing on the dam for the pool. During its history the mill was used for grinding grain but prior to its closure, production was turned over to cheese making. It fell into disrepair before being developed and converted into apartments in the early 1990s saving it from proposed demolition by the local council.
North Staffordshire was a centre for coal mining and the nearby mine at Leycett was known as Madeley under the National Coal Board.Sinking began in the 1880s and the Colliery had five shafts with exotic names: Bang Up, Fair Lady, Clarkes, Harrisons and Woodburn.The Pit closed on 21 September 1957. There is nothing left of the site nowadays and it is used for agriculture.
The majority of the village sits between the M6 motorway and the West Coast Main Line but there is no access to the motorway or a railway station. The A525 road passes through Madeley as a primary route. It connects with the A531 which further connects with the A500 to the north.
In Second World War when food was rationed, a lorry overturned on the A351 road carrying Stork margarine. People came from miles around came to recover the contents, which gave the place the name 'Margarine Corner', which name continues today.
Madeley was served by two railway stations, with the station on the West Coast Main Line closing in 1954. It was previously a stabling point for the Royal Train. There was also a Madeley Road station on the North Staffordshire Railway's branch line to Market Drayton which was opened on 1 February 1870 and closed in 1931. However, during the 1960s the Station at Madeley Road was reopened and used as a messroom by British Rail Traincrew and Shunters for running Round Coal Trains destined for Silverdale and Holditch Collieries. These Trains came off the West Coast Mainline and onto the former Branch via Madeley Chord. This arrangement continued until Silverdale Colliery closed in 1998.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Madeley, Staffordshire)
- Madeley on the Web
- Map References
- Chris Machin. "Madeley Village timeline - Middle Ages". http://www.madeleyvillage.co.uk/yearsp2.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- Chris Machin. "Madeley Village timeline - 1945-1970". http://www.madeleyvillage.co.uk/yearsp7.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- Madeley Village timeline - Madeley, The English Civil War (1642-1650) & after, by Chris Machin