St Patrick's Church, Loughgilly
|Council:|| Armagh, Banbridge|
Loughgilly is a small village, townland and parish in County Armagh. It is on the main A28 Armagh to Newry road, about halfway between the two. It had a population of 84 people (42 households) in the 2011 Census. Its name is from the Irish Loch Gile or Loch Goilí.
During the Irish Rebellion of 1641, Markethill and its district did not escape the havoc. Irish commander Féilim Ó Néill, on his march from Newry to Armagh in 1641, ordered Mulmory MacDonell "... to kill all the English and Scots within the parishes of Mullebrack, Logilly and Kilcluney". Among properties destroyed were the Parish Churches of Mullaghbrack and Kilcluney, Achesons Castle at Markethill and Hamilton's bawn at Hamiltonsbawn. The rectors of Mullaghbrack (Reverend Mercer) and Loughgilly (Reverend Burns) both lost their lives.
The Loughgilly Together residents group was formed in October 1942 by people worried about deterioration of facilities and the appearance of the area. Today it runs a park and children's play area.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Loughgilly". NI Statistics and Research Agency. http://www.nisra.gov.uk/census/2011/results/settlements.html. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Placenames NI
- Placenames Database of Ireland
- NI Housing Executive report 2003
- 1641 Rebellion