|Dialling code:||028, +44 28|
|Council:|| Armagh, Banbridge|
|Newry and Armagh|
The village is named after the fortified house with defended courtyard that was built by Scottish settler John Hamilton, brother of James Hamilton, 1st Viscount Claneboye, in 1619. By 1622 the lime and stone walls of this structure were 12 feet high and 90 feet long by 63 feet broad. It was destroyed during the 1641 Rebellion. The village of Newtownhamilton takes its name from Alexander Hamilton, a descendant of John Hamilton.
Hamiltonsbawn railway station opened on 25 August 1864 and finally closed on 1 February 1933.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Hamiltonsbawn station". Railscot - Irish Railways. http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2007-10-15.