Llansanffraid Glan Conwy
|Llansanffraid Glan Conwy|
The Conwy Estuary
|Post town:||Colwyn Bay|
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy, usually shortened to Glan Conwy, is a village and parish in north-western Denbighshire. The name translates from the Welsh language as Church of St Bridget on the bank of the River Conwy. The village was founded in the 5th century and in the past had a marine based economy, but it is now largely residential. The population was 2,290 in 2001.
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy lies on the eastern bank of the Cowny, which here forms the border with Caernarfonshire. It faces the town of Conwy in that county across the estuary and a mile north is Llandudno Junction, also of Caernarfonshire, which is on the London to Holyhead main railway line. The A470 trunk road runs through the village. The trunk road is officially known as the Cardiff to Glan Conwy trunk road.
The parish was founded, according to tradition, when St Bridget (Ffraid) is supposed to have sailed from Ireland on a green turf, and landed on a bank of the River Conwy, about a quarter of a mile west of the present church. However records show that the parish was created by Maelgwyn Gwynedd in the 5th century and that five royal manors were given to the church to create the parish.
These are remembered in the five townships which survive today, the townships of Trellan, Trebwll, Tre Trallwyn, Tre Deunant and Pen y Rhos.
The village has one public house, the Cross Keys Inn. It previously had two, the other being The Estuary, previously named the Conwy Vale before a change of ownership in 2007, and in the 1920s was the Wheatsheaf.
Places of worship
In 1905, the following nonconformist places of worship were to be found in the civil parish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy:
|Name of chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Bryn Ebenezer||Calvinistic Methodist||250|
All but Salem Fforddlas and Bryn Ebenezer are now closed.
Ysgol Glan Conwy is a voluntary controlled primary school for boys and girls aged 3 to 11.
The village's main industry used to be dry docking and chandlery for the port of Conwy. When the Telford (1826) and Stephenson (1848) bridges were built the village was cut off from the high seas and began a period of decline. Today it is a dormitary village, the vast majority of the population either being retirees or people who commute to work. The Cae Ffwt Business Park, located alongside the A470, has seen a number of small businesses set up base in the village.
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Conwy
- "Welsh Church Commission: County of Denbigh The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905."
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Llansanffraid Glan Conwy)