From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Llanmadoc church

Llanmadog or Llanmadoc is a village and ancient parish in the north-west of the Gower peninsula of Glamorgan.

The village is named after the churchyard of St Madoc, who founded his hermitage or monastery here in the 6th century. The 13th-century building was restored in 1865, but retains a Romanesque font and a Romano-British tombstone.[1] Llanmadoc Hill, formed of Old Red Sandstone, is a landmark of west Gower and affords wide views from the top. An evocative painting of the Hill, by Cedric Morris, may be seen at the Glynn Vivian Art Gallery, Swansea. A painting of Llanmadoc was also made by John Nash.

The Medulli were the likely Celtic tribal ancestors of Madoc. Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) is consistent with the regions of Llanmadoc and Médoc in France, and the Celtic migrations from the South East to the North West, and likely predates St Madoc. The population was 365 in 2011.[2]

Close by communities include Cheriton and Landimore. Nearby beaches include Broughton Bay and Whiteford Sands. It forms part of the civil community of Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton.


Outside links