Little Salkeld

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Little Salkeld
Little Salkeld Flour Mill - - 50094.jpg
Little Salkeld Flour Mill
Grid reference: NY566359
Location: 54°42’59"N, 2°40’23"W
Post town: Penrith
Postcode: CA10
Dialling code: 01768
Local Government
Council: Westmorland & Furness
Penrith and The Border

Little Salkeld is a small village in the Eden Valley of Cumberland, a few miles downstream and to the north-east of Penrith. The village stands on the east bank of the River Eden.


The manor at Little Salkeld was confirmed by King Edward I in 1292. It is believed to be the original home of the Salkeld family of landowners.[1]

The village is believed to have been connected at one time by a bridge over the River Eden to Great Salkeld.

Sights about the village

Little Salkeld Watermill, built in 1745, is a traditional 18th century water mill.[2] It is the county's only watermill still in full operation. All-purpose flours made here and organic bread baked from it and are available in specialist shops throughout Britain. It operates regular tours and has an organic vegetarian café.

Salkeld Hall is the village's largest house; built in the 16th century incorporating earlier walls.[3] It is privately owned.

The village contains a vicarage but no church – the vicarage was built for Addingham parish church one mile to the north near Glassonby.

Popular with walkers it is the closest village to Lacy's Caves and Long Meg and Her Daughters.


Little Salkeld can be reached by car a mile and a half from Langwathby off the A686, approximately 6 miles from M6 motorway, Junction 40.

The village is on the 'C2C' Cycle Route.

Little Salkeld railway station on the Settle-Carlisle Railway and branch line to the Long Meg Mine were both closed in the 1970s, although the disused platforms still remain and the station building is well maintained as a private house. The closest station today is Langwathby.

In 1918 a train accident in nearby Long Meg Cutting killed seven people. A second accident occurred at the station in 1933, which resulted in the death of one railwayman and injuries to a further five members of railway staff and thirty passengers.

Little Salkeld

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Little Salkeld)


  1. Parishes: Addingham – Aspatria: Magna Britannia: volume 4: Cumberland (1816), pp. 4-18
  2. Little Salkeld Watermill
  3. National Monuments Record: No. 12238 – Salkeld Hall