From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Welsh: Coed-llai
White Gates, Leeswood Hall - geograph.org.uk - 691390.jpg
White Gates at Leeswood Hall
Grid reference: SJ267601
Location: 53°7’59"N, 3°5’42"W
Population: 2,143
Post town: Mold
Postcode: CH7
Dialling code: 01352
Local Government
Council: Flintshire

Leeswood is a small village and parish in Flintshire about four miles from the historic market town of Mold. At the 2001 Census, the population was 2,143.[1]

It was the centre of attention during the Mold Riot of 1869, where the owners of the mine refused to allow the speaking of the Welsh language in the mines.

The famous White Gates of Leeswood Hall were attributed to the Davies brothers of Wrexham. The family of smiths were known in the 18th Century for their high-quality work using wrought-iron. The Wynne baronets were later to live in Leeswood Hall around the middle of the 18th century. The family history of the baronets can be traced to the lineage of Welsh kings and princes, as well as Owain Glyndŵr.


Outside links

Flag of Flintshire.svg
 This Flintshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.