The railway bridge,
often considered the centre of the village
|Penrith and the Border|
The name 'Lazonby' is thought to come from the Old Norse leysingja by, meaning "freedman's farmstead". The total population of the ward of Lazonby, which also includes the nearby villages of North Dykes, Great Salkeld and Salkeld Dykes, was 1,425 at the time of the 2001 UK Census. At the time of the 2011 Census the population had reduced marginally to 976.
The village is lucky in terms of its amenities, having one church, one chapel, two pubs (the Midland Hotel and the Joiner's Arms), a primary school, retained fire station, a Lakes & Dales Co-operative supermarket and post office, livestock auction mart, swimming pool and campsite, a railway station on the Settle-Carlisle Line and the Bell's of Lazonby bakery complex. There is also an independent wooden toy shop, Croglin Toys & Designs which is located in the old school, and an independent petrol station. The village has its own village hall with snooker club and allotments.
The parish church of St Nicholas forms a united benefice with churches at nearby Great Salkeld and Kirkoswald. The church was rebuilt in 1864-6 to a design by Anthony Salvin, at the expense of the Macleans of Lazonby Hall. A notable feature is the woodwork executed by Canon B W Wilson, Rector 1877-1920. This can be seen on the south door, north vestry door, the pulpit and the chancel, organ and tower screens. There is an imposing unornamented wheel cross at top of the graveyard, possibly 10th century.  There are 4 bells hung for full-circle ringing.
In recent years many new housing developments have sprung up in the village. The village today is lived in mostly by people who work in either Penrith or Carlisle.
The civil parish of Lazonby contains no other villages but does include the settlements of Baronwood and Brackenbank. At Low Plains there is a mineral water bottling plant which bottles "Aqua Pura" mineral water. The ancient parish includes the township of Plumpton within which are the settlements of Salkeld Gate, Brockleymoor, Plumpton Foot and Theifside.
Kirkoswald Methodist Youth Guild have held a local pantomime for more than 40 years in the local village hall.
Since 2008 there has been a bi-annual music concert in Lazonby which takes place on the school field. Featuring local and national bands, Lazonby Fest took place on 5 July 2008 and Lazonby Live took place on 12 June 2010. The festival's purpose is to raise money for the local school and other local charities. The festival took a break in 2012 due to the Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee but Lazonby Live returned on 7 September 2013 at a new location, Nunwick Cricket Club in Great Salkeld.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- The church bells of Lazonby - YouTube
- "Parish population 2011". http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11125495&c=CA4+0JF&d=16&e=62&g=6412133&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=0&s=1434968108110&enc=1. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Lazonby Pool
- Carlisle Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers website - retrieved July 2015