Entering Kirk Sandall
Kirk Sandall is a village and ancient parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the north-eastern edge of Doncaster. It is situated four miles from Doncaster town centre, 29 miles from Sheffield, and 37 miles from both Leeds, and York respectively.
It is served by Kirk Sandall railway station.
The Anglican parish church, dedicated to St Oswald's Church, is now redundant. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade-II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
The church is dedicated to Saint Oswald, king of Northumbria, and there is a legend that his body rested on the site after he was killed in 642. A church was present at the time of the Domesday survey. Most of the present church was built in the 12th century, with additions and alterations in the 14th and 16th centuries. It was restored in 1864 by J. M. Teale, and again in 1934. The Rokeby Chapel is named after William Rokeby, rector of Kirk Sandall from 1487 to 1502. He later became vicar of Halifax, then Bishop of Meath, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, and Archbishop of Dublin. The chapel was built soon after his death in 1521. The tower was added in 1828 but was truncated in 1935. By the 1960s the local population had declined, a new church was built in a nearby growing village. St Oswald's was declared redundant on 1 March 1979, and was vested in the Trust on 27 July 1980.
- Kirk Sandall Infants School
- Kirk Sandall Junior School
- 10th Doncaster Scout Group (Kirk Sandall & Barnby Dun)