|Built 15th century|
The lands of Inverquharity came to the Ogilvie family around 1420. The castle was first built as a rectangular tower in the 1440s, by Alexander Ogilvie, 2nd Lord Inverquharity. In the 16th century a wing was added to form a four-storey L-plan castle.
In 1445 a dispute between Alexander Ogilvy of Inverquharity and the son of the Earl of Crawford from nearby Finavon Castle culminated in the Battle of Arbroath in which Ogilvy and the Earl were killed.
In the late 18th century, the tower was sold by the 5th Ogilvy Baronet, and the wing demolished. The castle decayed until the 1960s, when it was restored and the wing rebuilt. The original 15th-century yett, or iron gate, is still in place. In 2014, a BBC documentary followed the sale of the castle from the owners who had restored and lived there for the previous 40 years. It sold in 2012 for £611,000.
The house remains a private family home. It is a category A listed building.
- "Prospectus for Inverquharity Castle t". Bell Ingram. http://www.bellingram.co.uk/assets/0003/9759/KF_Inverquharity_Castle_-_Final.pdf. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Key of the Castle, BBC Two documentary t". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nnztr. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Inverquharity Castle". Gazetteer for Scotland. http://www.scottish-places.info/features/featurefirst10078.html. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "Inverquharity Castle, Listed Building Report". Historic Scotland. http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=11665. Retrieved 2009-10-20.