St Katherine, Ickleford
|Hitchin and Harpenden|
Ickleford is a large village situated on the northern outskirts of Hitchin in northern Hertfordshire. The village stands on the west bank of the River Hiz and to the east of the main A600 road. Partly of the parish is technically a detached portion of Bedfordshire locally situate in Hertfordshire.
St Katharine's church, set amid cedar trees, has a 12th-century Norman nave and blocked north doorway with beautifully carved zigzag arches, and a south aisle and chapel added by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1859. The east window has some fine stained glass of 1860.
The church is the burial-place of Henry Boswell, "King of the Gypsies", who died in 1760, at the advanced age of 90; the remains of his wife and granddaughter are likewise interred here.
About the village
The Icknield Way, an ancient pathway passes through the village. The Bedford to Hitchin Line used to pass through the village, remnants of which can still be seen in places such as Gerry's Hole where parts of the old bridge and embankment are still present.
Ickleford has a primary school, village hall, general store, florist and a mobile fish and chip shop. There are four public houses.
Ickleford also has a Scout troop (the 1st Ickleford (9th Hitchin)) with active groups for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts, and Brownies for girls.
Ickleford Cricket Club plays at the Sports and Recreation. Their symbol represents two crossed farmers' pitchforks. The club was founded in 1947 and in 2006 won promotion to Division 3 of the Saracens Herts League, and was promoted to Division 2 in 2010. Since 2006, the cricket club's first team has used the nickname "The Tigers".
Football, squash and petanque are played at the Sports and Recreation ground too, which also contains a playground and licensed bar.
There is also an equestrian centre with a Pony Club and a Dog Rescue Centre.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|