Cottages in Horton
The nearby town is Barnoldswick, also in the West Riding.
Horton has a place of worship, anciently called a chapelry or chapel of ease. For transport there is the A59 road nearby.
The name Horton is a common one. It derives from the Old English horu, meaning 'dirt' or 'mud' and tun, meaning 'village', 'farm', or 'estate'.
There is another Horton in the West Riding, to the north and known as 'Horton in Ribblesdale to distinguish the two, though both villages are in the vialley of the River Ribble. The name applied to the more southerly village is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Horton, Yorkshire)
- Victor Watts (ed.), The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names, Based on the Collections of the English Place-Name Society (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004), s.v. HORTON.