The village is in the depths of the dale, south of the River Corve and its parallel tributary brook, the Trow Brook. It stands atop a small rise on which in the Middle Ages stood a castle; Holdgate Castle's earthworks and remains are visible today, and bear witness to the village's greater size and importance in past ages.
A mile to the northeast is the village of Stanton Long. Between the two villages, but within the former Holdgate parish (now in the Abdon parish) is the hamlet of Brookhampton. To the south is Tugford.
The parish church is Holy Trinity, which dates from around 1100-1200. A church here is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086; it is one of the few manors in Shropshire listed as having a church and a priest, apparently since before the Norman Conquest.
The earliest part of the present church is the nave, built in the 12th century while the tower was added in the 13th Century. The church retains an ornate Norman south doorway and font. High on the outer south wall of the chancel is a carving reminiscent of the Sheila-na-gig carvings found in Ireland from pre-Christian times.
Although the parish has only some 33 residents, in recentl years they managed to raise £50,000 for the church's restoration.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Holdgate Church Appeal 2012 – The High Sheriff of Shropshire