St Margaret, Abdon
Abdon is an upland hamlet on the slopes of the Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire. The population is small; the village has only 28 dwellings or so. The higher summit of Brown Clee Hill, which is Shropshire's highest point, is known as Abdon Burf.
Abdon has notwithstanding its size a parish church, St Margaret's, a village hall and the remains of a deserted mediæval village. Abdon has a lively community, with regular events at the village hall.
The hamlet is very close to the remains of an Iron Age hill fort now known as Nordy Bank, found on the southern end of the Brown Clee.
The village is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 and there named Abetune. Local historians note that the Abdon parish registers begin early, in the 1560s, but they are only complete from 1614 on, with a gap from 1641-9.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- A History of the County of Shropshire. Volume 10: Munslow Hundred, The Liberty and Borough of Wenlock (1998)
- Abdon (A History of the County of Shropshire)