Shops on Selby Road
|Population:||7,845 ((with Whitkirk))|
|Council:||City of Leeds|
Halton is a village of the West Riding of Yorkshire which has been so absorbed as to become in effect a suburb or district of Leeds, in the east of the city. It is to be found between Cross Gates to the north, Halton Moor to the west, Colton to the east and Whitkirk to the south.
The village is three and a half miles to the east of Leeds city centre and is close to the A63 dual carriageway.
Halton was originally developed as a village on the main road linking Leeds and Selby. Development immediately before and after the Second World War, saw Halton grow substantially into a suburb of Leeds.
The parish church is St Wilfrid's, today a grade II* listed building. It was built in 1939 at a cost of £11,700 and designed by A Randall Wells.
The church is in the Arts and Crafts style and still has many of the original fittings designed by Wells as well as contemporary art by Eric Gill.
About the villlage
Halton is a suburban area of mainly owner-occupied housing of which almost three-quarters is semi detached or detached. The area compares favourably with Leeds as a whole in relation to indicators of deprivation, with relatively low levels of crime and anti-social behaviour, low levels of households in receipt of means-tested and out-of-work benefits and high levels of educational attainment.
The main public houses of Halton were the Irwin Arms (now demolished), The Travellers Rest (now demolished) and The Woodman.
There is a good series of supermarkets and local shops. The village has a primary school (Templenewsam Halton Primary School).