St Margaret's Church, Habrough
|Council:||North East Lincolnshire|
Habrough is a village in Lindsey, the northern part of Lincolnshire, eight miles north-west of Grimsby and three miles inland of the Humber at the southern edge of the A180 road, just west of Immingham and south of South Killingholme.
The name Habrough is found in old records as "Haburgh".
There was a manor house here, of which only earthworks remain south east of the church. It belonged during the 13th and 14th centuries to the de Saltfletby family, and later the Skipwith family. The manor was reputedly abandoned when the Skipwith line died out. Today the village has land owned by the Earl of Yarborough and is situated less than a mile from the Brocklesby Hall and its estate, the seat of the Earl of Yarborough.
The parish church is St Margaret’s. The church tower was restored in 1684, and the church rebuilt in limestone in 1869, by R. J. Withers. It is a Grade II listed building.
The Wesleyan Methodist Church had a chapel here, rebuilt in 1869. The Primitive Methodists also had a chapel, rebuilt in 1873.
Habrough railway station serves the village and the port town of Immingham. The village is on the railway line established in the 19th century by the Great Central Railway.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|