The Bay Horse Inn at Green Hammerton
(H)ambretone, a place-name reflected now both in Kirk Hammerton ('Hammerton with the church', from Old Norse kirkja 'church') and in Green Hammerton ('Hammerton with the green', from Middle English grene), is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name seems to derive from the Old English plant-name hamor (whose meaning is not certain but might include hammer-sedge or pellitory of the wall) + tun 'settlement, farm, estate'.
The village has a Church of England parish church, St Thomas' Church, and a church primary school, both located in the centre of the village.
The former Congregational church in Green Hammerton, originally built as a Methodist Chapel in the late 1790s, was adapted for use as a Roman Catholic church, St Josephs, in 1961.
The village pub is the Bay Horse Inn.
Green Hammerton Village Hall opened in April 2010: it is run by the Green Hammerton Recreational Charity.
A playing field in Green Hammerton has been enrolled as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Green Hammerton)