|Grantown On Spey|
A winter scene in Grantown-on-Spey
| Inverness, Nairn,|
Badenoch and Strathspey
Grantown-on-Spey is a town in Inverness-shire, though in a detached part of the county locally situate in Morayshire. It stands on a low plateau at Freuchie beside the River Spey, at the northern edge of the Cairngorm mountains, about 25 miles south-east of the county town, Inverness, though 35 miles by road from that city.
The town was founded in 1765 as a planned settlement and was named "Grantown" after its founder, Sir James Grant, 8th Baronet. Grantown throve and in 1898 it achieved burgh status, on which occasion it took the addition of "on Spey".
Grantown is the main town in the joint parish of Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie formed by the union of the same-named parishes in the 16th century.
There is a small museum located in Burnfield Avenue near one of the town's three free car-parks.
The parish kirk, Inverallan Parish Church was built in 1884-6 by Caroline, Dowager Countess of Seafield in memory of her husband and son 7th and 8th Earls of Seafield. It is Category B listed. The church superseded an earlier church built in 1803 on same site.
A number of churches stand in the town:
- Church of Scotland: Inverallan Parish Church, on Mossie Road
- Baptist: Grantown on Spey Baptist Church, on High Street
- Scottish Episcopal Church: St Columba, on High Street
- Roman Catholic: St Anne, on High Street
- http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/ - Strathspey and Badenoch Herald - local weekly newspaper with on-line content
- http://www.grantownweather.co.uk/ - Live weather data in Grantown On Spey
- http://www.grantowngrammar.highland.sch.uk/ - Grantown Grammar School, which serves Grantown and a wide surrounding area