Gaelic: A' Chananaich
The town is known for its ruined 13th century cathedral, and as the home of the Brahan Seer. In the Middle Ages it was the seat of the bishopric of Ross. The Cathedral was largely demolished in the mid-seventeenth century by Oliver Cromwell to provide building materials for a citadel at Inverness. The vaulted south aisle, with bell-tower, and a detached chapter house (used as the tollbooth of Fortrose after the Reformation) remain. These fragments, though modest in scale, display considerable architectural refinement, and are in the care of Historic Scotland (no entrance charge).
Fortrose shares a golf course with Rosemarkie. Set on the Chanonry Ness the course stretches out into the Moray Firth and offers good views of Fort George. The course is well known for its signature 4th Hole "Lighthouse". The lighthouse in question is the Chanonry Point lighthouse which was designed by Alan Stevenson and was first lit 15 May 1846.
Public buildings in Fortrose include a leisure centre, library and the only secondary school on the Black Isle, Fortrose Academy.
Sport and leisure
Fortrose Union are the local amateur football club and play at the King George V Field in the east of the village. They are a focal point of the community and are the centre of many social events throughout each summer.
Black Isle Leisure Centre stands next to the school (Fortrose Academy). It consists of a gym, and one single indoor court which has space for four badminton courts, four small basketball courts or one full sized basketball court. It also has goals at either end for football. Pupils of Fortrose Academy regularly have music and PE lessons in the Leisure Centre.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club
- Northern Lighhouse Board - Chanonry Point
- Chanonry Sailing Club
- Fortrose Union Football Club