The church of St Michael and All Angels, Ewyas Harold
Ewyas Harold is a village in the Golden Valley in Herefordshire, near to the county border with Monmouthshire. The village is about half way between the towns of Abergavenny and Hereford. It lies on the Dulas brook, and is contiguous with the neighbouring village of Pontrilas.
The village is named after Harold, son of Ralph the Timid, Earl of Hereford in the days of Edward the Confessor, and great-grandson of King Æthelred the Unready. It is the site of Ewyas Harold Castle, of which only the motte remains.
The parish church is St Michael and All Angels, which is now in a united benefice linking it with several neighbouring parishes.
About the village
The mound which is the motte of Ewyas Harold Castle is a prominent landmark. No more remains of this castle, build to protect the Marches probably in the days of Edward the Confessor.
Ewyas Harold common is a large area of common land within the parish, rich in wildlife. It contains an ancient greenway, Meadow Saffron (left over from cultivation by the monks at Dore Abbey), and some villagers still have commoner's rights.
The village contains a number of amenities, such as a school and fire station. The was once a Roman Catholic church here too, now abandoned.
This is the nearest village to the Pontrilas Army Training Area.
- Ann Williams, 'Ralph , earl of Hereford (d. 1057)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004, accessed 26 October 2011