Dornoch, outside the Dornoch Cathedral
| Caithness, Sutherland|
and Easter Ross
Dornoch is a seaside resort town and royal burgh in Sutherland. The town stands on the north shore of the Dornoch Firth, close to its mouth opening into the Moray Firth. Dornoch is the county town of Sutherland.
In the middle of Dornoch stands Dornoch Cathedral, built in the thirteenth-century. The Old Town Gaol is a visitor attraction, and the old Bishop's Palace which is now the well-known hotel,
Dornoch has a notable golf course, the Royal Dornoch Golf Club (which was named the 5th best golf course outside the United States in 2005 by Golf Digest magazine.)
Dornoch was the last place a witch was burnt in Scotland; Janet Horne was tried and condemned to death in 1727. "The Witch's Stone" in the town commemorates her death, inscribed with the year 1722.
Sights of the town
- Dornoch Cathedral
- Dornoch Castle
- Skibo Castle