Dearham Village Hall
Dearham is a village in western Cumberland, two miles east of Maryport and four and a half miles west of Cockermouth, In the Ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent.. The 2011 census recorded a population of 2,151.
It is a large, strung-out village. It has one church, St Mungo's: formerly there was a Methodist Chapel, but it is now a private residence. The village has a small primary school. There are three public houses, though once there were more. There is a Village Store with Post Office on Central Road (Dearham PO & Village Store), a fish and chip shop, a hairdresser, a petrol station and a locally renowned pie shop, "The Cottage Pie".
'Dearham' is from the Old English deor ham, meaning "animal (or deer) homestead (or village)".
St Mungo's Church was built in the early 12th century, a solid, stone-built edifice. It has a 13th-century chancel, nave, south porch and a 14th-century pele tower.
During restoration work carried out on the church in 1882, two stones were discovered: The first is the 4-foot-high Adam Stone, which depicts the fall and redemption of man and dates from 900 AD; the second is the Kenneth Cross, which depicts the legend of the 6th-century hermit, St. Kenneth/Cenydd.
The village belongs to Cumberland's former coal mining industry. Wheat and oats were also grown in the farm fields surrounding the village.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Armstrong, A.M. & Mawer; A.; Stenton, F.M. & Dickins, B.: 'Place-Names of Cumberland , Part 2' (English Place-Names Society, 1950), page 283
- The Lakes: Dearham (University of Portsmouth)