Cynwyl Gaeo is a parish located in rural Carmarthenshire near the border with Cardiganshire, in the upper Cothi valley about halfway between Lampeter and Llandovery. It includes the villages of Caeo (or Caio), Crug-y-bar, Cwrtycadno, Ffarmers and Pumsaint.
Historically it was part of the commote of Caeo, which in turn was part of Y Cantref Mawr ("The Great Hundred"), a division of Ystrad Tywi.
It is the location of the Dolaucothi Gold Mines, part of Dolaucothi Estate, whose owner, John Johnes, was murdered by his butler in 1876. The mansion house was demolished in 1952.
The parish church of St Cynwyl in the village of Caio is a Grade II* listed building.
- "Parish Church of St Cynwyl, Caeo, Cynwyl Gaeo". British Listed Buildings. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-10908-parish-church-of-st-cynwyl-caeo-cynwyl-ga. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
This Carmarthenshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.