Cwmamman is a parish in Carmarthenshire, about 12 miles north of Swansea in Glamorgan. It lies at the foot of the Black Mountain. Literally meaning "Amman valley", it takes its name from the River Amman which runs through the area.
Cwmamman was the original name of the area but as coal-mining boomed during the late 19th century the western end became known as Glanamman and the eastern end as Garnant. The distinction was promoted by having two stations on the Llanelly Railway built in 1840, Garnant (originally called Amman Valley) and Glanamman. The name Cwmamman was revived for the modern urban council covering the two towns, which now have much smaller populations than in their heyday at the turn of the 20th century.
Christchurch, the only Commissioners' church in south-west Wales was built in Garnant in 1839-42. In contrast, four Methodist chapels were constructed in Glanamman before St Margaret's church was built in 1933.
- Lloyd, Thomas; Orbach, Julian; Scourfield, Robert (2006). Carmarthenshire And Ceredigion, Pevsner Architectural Guides Volume 6 of The Buildings of Wales. Yale University Press. p. 198. ISBN 9780300101799. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wEkcJb2lHx8C&pg=PA198.
- "Ysgol Y Bedol". http://www.ysgolybedol.co.uk/. Retrieved 12 December 2006.
- Location map: 51°48’18"N, 3°54’54"W
This Carmarthenshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.