From St Andrew's Churchyard, Countesthorpe
Countesthorpe is a large village in Leicestershire, with a population of 6,393 at the 2001 census.
The village is to the south of Leicester, and is about six miles from the city centre, but only two miles south of the suburb of South Wigston. Nearby places are Blaby and South Wigston to the north, Kilby to the east, Peatling Magna and Willoughby Waterleys to the south, and Broughton Astley, Cosby and Whetstone to the west.
The name Countesthorpe originates from the 11th century when the area was part of the marriage dowry of the Countess Judith niece of William the Conqueror. The 'thorpe' part of the name is a variant of the Middle English word þorp, meaning hamlet or small village.
The parish church of St. Andrew was started in 1220 by the family of Lord William of Ludbrook. It was restored in 1840 and again in 1907. The 14th century tower still remains.
The village has three public houses:
- The Axe and Square
- The Bull's Head and
- The Railway,
Another public house, the King William IV was turned into a Tesco Express in 2013.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|