St Mary's, Broughton Astley
The population 1991 census recorded 6,487 residents. Its population has however grown rapidly as a result of housing development, reaching around 10,000 at present.
The parish of Broughton Astley consists of the villages of Broughton Astley and Sutton in the Elms. Broughton Astley in turn is made up of two villages, Primethorpe and Broughton, that were previously separate. Until recently there were still signs in the old Primethorpe area that still said "Primethorpe", and the Primethorpe Post Office was trading by the name decades after the Royal Mail accepted the vanishing of the village.
Sutton in the Elms, although part of the parish, is separated from Broughton Astley by the B581 Broughton Way bypass, and consequently retains its own separate identity.
At the time of the Domesday Book of 1086, the combined area had under 200 inhabitants. The exact number is not known but it is probably closer to 130 than to 200. By 1800 there were about 450 people and by 1900 about 1,200. The rapid expansion after 1800 follows the development of industry, mainly machine knitting on hand-operated frames.
The church of St Mary the Virgin is the parish church, the earliest documented reference being in 1220, when it was recorded that William de Estley was rector.
Sutton in the Elms Baptist church was founded around 1650, making it the oldest Baptist church in the county.
For more than a thousand years the area was agricultural. The knitting and hosiery industry came after about 1750. Later still there was some brickmaking, tailoring and shoemaking. The village now has a small industrial estate, for light industry, and small manufacturing businesses.
The majority of employment is now found outside the village, for example, in the Coventry, Hinckley and Leicester town areas.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Broughton Astley)
- Broughton Astley's Virtual Community
- Broughton Astley Online
- Broughton Astley Parish Council
- MyBroughtonAstley.com - local events and information for Broughton Astley
- South Leicestershire Business Directory