Cottesmore St Nicholas
|Rutland and Melton|
Cottesmore is a village in the north of the county of Rutland. It is pronounced "Cotts'more" as a result of its origins as Cotts Moor. In terms of population it is the largest village in Rutland, and the third-largest settlement after Oakham and Uppingham. This is due in part to the presence of Kendrew Barracks, formerly RAF Cottesmore.
The Cottesmore Hunt takes its name from the village (although the kennels are not now in the parish). Sir William Lowther, 1st Earl of Lonsdale brought the foxhounds he had bought from Thomas Noel to Cottesmore in 1740.
The Duke of York commanded the minesweeper HMS Cottesmore from April 1993 until November 1994 and visited the village with members of his crew.
At the time of Edward the Confessor (mid 11th century), "Manors Cottesmore" was held, together with Greetham, by a Saxon called Goda. Goda held 12 carucates of land, three of which were held in tax to the Danegeld. The King held three carucates in demesne and three socmen with 40 villeins and six bordarii held 20 carucates. Of the land held by the manor, one Goisfridus held half a carucate; he had one plough and eight villeins. Cottesmore also had 40 acres of meadow and a wood measuring a mile in length by seven furlongs in breadth.
- "Rutland Civil Parish Populations". Rutland County Council. 2001. http://www.rutland.gov.uk/ppimageupload/Image27657.PDF. Retrieved 7 February 2009.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Cottesmore, Rutland)