St Mary's and St Nicholas Church
|Website:||Compton Parish Council|
Compton is a village in Berkshire in the valley of the River Pang amongst the Berkshire Downs. It stands 6½ miles south of Didcot. It lies within, and lends its name to, the Compton Hundred of the county. The village had a population of 1,521 at the 2001 census. The Pang flows through the village as a winterbourne, a stream that only flows after periods of high rainfall.
The parish church is St Mary and St Nicholas. Its bell tower was built in the 13th century and has Perpendicular Gothic features that were added in the 15th century. In 1850 the nave and chancel were modernised or rebuilt and in 1905 the Gothic Revival architect John Oldrid Scott added the north aisle.
In 1881 the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway was completed through the parish and Compton railway station was opened. British Railways withdrew passenger services from the line and closed Compton station in 1962. BR had closed Compton goods yard by 1966. Through freight traffic was withdrawn in 1967 and the line was closed and dismantled.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Compton, Berkshire)
- Berkshire History: Compton
- The Institute for Animal Health
- Compton CoE Primary School
- The Downs School
- Compton Players, a local amateur dramatics group
- Pevsner, 1966, page 120
- Page & Ditchfield, 1924, pages 15-21
- Page, William; Ditchfield, P.H., eds (1924). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Berkshire, Volume 4. pp. 15–21.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1966). The Buildings of England: Berkshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 120–121.