Coln St Dennis
|Coln St Dennis|
Houses in Coln St Dennis
The wider parish includes the village of Coln Rogers and the hamlets of Calcot, Fossebridge and Winson. The Fosse Way, a Roman road which is now the A429 trunk road, forms the western boundary of the parish.
About a mile and a half south-west of Coln Rogers are Colnpen Long Barrow and a group of four round tumuli. All are prehistoric burial mounds.
Coln St Dennis Manor House was built in the 17th century and altered in 1965. Pindrup is a farmhouse dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. St. James' Rectory was designed by Richard Pace and built in 1810.
The Church of England parish church is St James the Great. It is Norman in style, with the addition of some Decorated Gothic and Perpendicular Gothic windows and other details.
The church was dedicated to Saint Katherine (of Alexandria) in the 13th century and St Dennis in the 18th century, hence the name of te village. It is believed to have once been dedicated to St Kenelm.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Coln St Dennis)
- Verey, 1970, page 200
- Verey, 1970, pag 199
- Elrington, 1968, pages 28-34
- A History of the County of Gloucester Volume 8page 28–34 – Victoria County History
- Nikolaus Pevsner: Pevsner Architectural Guides