Chimney Meadows on the River Thames
Chimney is a hamlet in the ancient parish of Bampton, Oxfordshire. It is situated on the River Thames near Shifford Lock, six miles south of Witney. It forms part of the civil parish of Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney.
The 620-acre Chimney Meadows is the largest nature reserve managed by the Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust.
Chimney's toponym is derived Old English, meaning "Island of a man named Ceomma". A large Anglo-Saxon cemetery, in use from the mid 10th century to the mid 11th century, has been found west of Chimney Farm. Chimney has been a small settlement since then. There were about 18 households in the 13th century, and the population reached a peak of 46 in 1821. In 1931, the last year for which separate figures are available, the population was 24.
A civil parish, corresponding to the hamlet was formed in 1866. In 1931 this was united with Aston and Cote to form Aston Bampton, which was united with Shifford in 1954 to form Aston Bampton and Shifford, later renamed Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney.
- Crossley & Currie, 1996, page 82 Chimney
- Crossley, Alan; Currie, C.R.J. (eds.); Baggs, A.P.; Chance, Eleanor; Colvin, Christina; Day, C.J.; Selwyn, Nesta; Townley, Simon C. (1996). A History of the County of Oxford, Volume 13: Bampton Hundred (Part One). Victoria County History. pp. 6–62, 80–86.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|