St Mary Magdalene, Caldecote
St Mary Magdalene's Church is now a redundant church, in the care of the charity Friends of Friendless Churches It is mainly of the 14th and 15th centuries, built in the Perpendicular Gothic style of the time.
The village also has a manor house dating from the 14th century, which stands to the south of the church.
In the year 1724, several Roman urns, containing burnt bones and ashes, were discovered in the parish.
During the 1970s archaeological excavations were carried out for a number of summers under the direction of Professor Guy Beresford. These revealed that during the 12th and 13th centuries there were approximately nine crofts lying to the north of the church and possibly three others close to the northwest boundary of the present manor garden. The population had declined by the mid 14th century and was devastated in 1349-50 by The Black Death. Records show that no subsidy was paid in 1428, indicating that there were then fewere than ten householders. The excavations demonstrated that after the manor was granted to the Priory the lands of the peasantry were gradually amalgamated.
The village is in a joint civil parish of Newnham and Caldecote.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Caldecote, Hertfordshire)
- "Caldecote St Mary Magdalene". Friends of Friendless Churches. http://www.friendsoffriendlesschurches.org.uk/CMSMS/index.php?page=caldecote. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- Hertfordshire Genealogy