|Council:||Vale of Glamorgan|
|Vale of Glamorgan|
Cadoxton juxta Barry otherwise Cadoxton is an ancient parish in Glamorgan that forms a suburb of Barry. As its longer name suggests it was once originally its own village, separate from Barry. It grew up around St Cadoc's parish church, which survives. The suffix "juxta Barry" is necessary to distinguish this parish from Cadoxton-juxta-Neath.
The area is served by Cadoxton railway station.
Remains have been found over the years suggesting that Cadoxton, (under a different name), was once a Roman settlement of some description.
Cadoxton derives from the 6th-century Saint, Cadoc, and the Old English word "ton" meaning settlement. The ruins of a chapel dedicated to Cadoc's disciple, Saint Baruc, can still be seen in Friars Road.
The village grew rapidly in the 19th and 20th century after the construction of Barry Docks in 1881. Cadoxton was swallowed up by Barry during this era.