The records of Furness Abbey from 1292 mention a grange at Biggar, of around 100 acres in size. Biggar Dyke was built in the Sixteenth century [when the village was part of Dalton Parish] as coastal defence for the village and island. The first mention of the name the 'Queen's Arms' was in 1869 to distinguish it from the recently opened 'New Inn' in the village although it was a beer house as early as 1753.
Biggar has remained outside of the main urban limits of Walney and Barrow-in-Furness, and is still a small farming village. It lies on the western coast of Walney, to the north of a nature reserve, containing one of Britain's few oyster farms.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Biggar, Lancashire)
- Barnes, F.; 1968; Barrow and District; Second Edition; Barrow-in-Furness Corporation;