Berwick St Leonard
|Berwick St Leonard|
St Leonard's church
|South West Wiltshire|
A small stream rises near that village and flows intermittently, under wet conditions. Soon after leaving the parish the stream forms Fonthill Lake and then joins the Nadder near Tisbury. The northern boundary of the parish is the watershed between the Nadder and the Wylye. The soil is chalky and mainly used for arable cropping and sheep, but increasing numbers of cows have been kept since about 1980.
The A303 trunk road, linking London with the south-west, crosses the parish. Berwick St John village is on the B3089 about a mile to the south. The Monarch's Way is a 615-mile long-distance footpath that passes through the parish.
There is a prehistoric earthwork near Penning, in the north of the parish. From before 1650 to around 1900, nearly all the land in the parish belonged to a single farm, probably Cold Berwick Farm, which appears on a 1773 map but had been demolished by 1822.
St Leonard's Church was built in the 12th century. It has been designated as a Grade II* listed building. The church was closed in 1966, declared redundant in 1973 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcensus.php?item=Berwick%20St.%20Leonard. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- "Berwick St Leonard". Wiltshire Council. https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcom.php?id=18. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "The Monarch's Way". The Monarch's Way Association. http://www.monarchsway.50megs.com/. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- National Heritage List England no. 1017714: Earthwork enclosure in Penning Wood (Historic England)
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 13 pp100-105 - Parishes: Berwick St Leonard". University of London. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol13/pp100-105. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- National Heritage List England no. 1146059: Berwick House, Berwick St Leonard (Historic England)
- "Church of St Leonard". Images of England. English Heritage. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=320783.
- "Fonthill Bishop". Nadder Valley Focus. Archived from the original on 1 September 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100901050040/http://www.nadderfocus.co.uk:80/village_pages/fonthill_bishop.html. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "St Leonard, Berwick". Churches Conservation Trust. http://www.visitchurches.org.uk/findachurch/st-leonard-berwick/. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Berwick St Leonard)
- "Berwick St Leonard". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcom.php?id=18. Retrieved 22 September 2015.