|Tower shape:|| parallelepiped building|
with lantern on the roof
|Tower marking:||white building, black lantern|
|Light:||Oc (2) WRG 8s.|
|Focal height:||41 feet|
|Range:|| white: 14 nautical miles|
red and green: 11 nautical miles
|Owned by:||Trinity House|
The lighthouse was built here by Trinity House in 1910 to guide shipping both passing along the Northumberland coast and in the waters around the Farne Islands. It was extensively modernised in 1975 and is now monitored from the Trinity House Operations and Planning Centre in Harwich. Routine maintenance is carried out by a local attendant.
When originally built, the lamp was mounted on a skeletal steel tower (the footprint of which can still be seen within the compound) which stood alongside the white building which housed an acetylene plant to power the lamp. (A similar arrangement can be seen today at Peninnis Lighthouse.) During electrification in 1975 the tower was removed, and the lantern was placed instead on top of the (now redundant) acetylene building. Keepers' accommodation has never been needed, as the light was automated from the start.
|Lighthouses of Trinity House|
|Channel Islands and Gibraltar:|