Annaghmore, County Armagh
|Annaghmore, County Armagh|
Annaghmore parish church
|Council:|| Armagh, Banbridge|
Annaghmore is a small village, and a townland of 786 acres, near Loughgall in County Armagh (within the Barony of Oneilland West). It had a population of 265 people (in 93 households) at the 2011 Census.
The name Annanghmore is from the Irish Eanach Mór, meaning 'Great Marsh'.
About the village
Ardress House in Annaghmore, was originally a modest farmhouse which was transformed in 1760 by Dublin architect George Ensor. It is today owned by the National Trust and contains examples of 18th century furniture and a display of paintings. It includes plasterwork in the drawing room made by Michael Stapleton in 1780. The farmyard and outbuildings show aspects of farming history with a display of farm implements. There is a garden with examples of early types of Irish rose.
The ‘Ladies Mile’ is a woodland walk around the estate.
Annaghmore railway station was opened by the Portadown, Dungannon and Omagh Junction Railway on 5 April 1858. It was closed by the Ulster Transport Authority on 15 February 1965.
- Gaelic Athletics: Annaghmore Pearses GFC, founded in 1915.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Annaghmore, County Armagh)
- "Annaghmore". http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Annanghmore - Placenames NI
- Ardress House
- "Annaghmore station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Archived from the original on 26 September 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070926042407/http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2007-09-08.