Ambleston is a village and parish in Pembrokeshire. It is situated in the centre of the county, six miles north of Haverfordwest. In addition to Ambleston village, the parish includes the hamlets of Wallis and Woodstock. The parish had a population of 367 in 2001.
The placename, in both English and Welsh, means "Amlot's farm", Amlot being a Norman-French name. The northern border of the parish is an ancient trackway leading towards St David's, with a Roman fortlet called "Castell Fflemish". This line is also the northern boundary of the hundred of Dungleddy, and was described by George Owen in 1602 as the 'Landsker Line, placing Ambelston in Little England beyond Wales. Ambleston was one of the parishes Owen described as bilingual, and in modern times it was predominantly Welsh-speaking.
In 1934, a small part of the parish was transferred to the parish of St Dogwells. The pre-1934 parish had an area of 1,379 acres. Its census populations were: 421 (1801): 598 (1851): 386 (1901): 358 (1951): 309 (1981).
- Charles, B. G., The Placenames of Pembrokeshire, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1992, ISBN 0-907158-58-7, pp 395