Acton, County Armagh
|Council:|| Armagh, Banbridge|
The place had a population of 72 people in 28 households at the 2011 Census.
The village was founded in the 17th century, during the Plantation of Ulster, by Sir Toby Poyntz. He was the son of Lieutenant Charles Poyntz, who, for his military services, obtained a grant of 500 acres of land that had been confiscated from the O'Hanlons by the English. The Irish had called the area An Chora Uachtarach, meaning "the upper weir". Before it was named Acton, the townland was known as Curryotragh, form the Irish name.
Poyntz built a bawn 100 feet square, a house of brick and lime for himself, and 24 cottages for so many English settlers. The Poyntz family were anciently feudal barons of Curry Mallet in Somerset, later of Iron Acton in Gloucestershire, after which Acton, County Armagh, was named. By 1837 it contained about 50 houses "indifferently built".
- "Acton". http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Acton". http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=11791. Retrieved 13 May 2015.