The ancient parish of Wrexham included the townships of Abenbury Fawr (or "Big Abenbury") in Denbighshire and Abenbury Fechan (or "Little Abenbury") in Flintshire. The township of Abenbury Fechan is one of several exclaves of Flintshire and was transferred to Denbighshire for administrative purposes in 1884. The historian A. N. Palmer argued that the name Abenbury probably had a compound Welsh and English language origin, noting there was a farm called "Coed Aben" in the township.
The civil parish of Abenbury was created in 1935 from parts of the old townships of Abenbury Fawr and Erlas
At the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 718 in 277 households. The majority of residents live in the village of Pentre Maelor, which was originally built in 1947 to house workers from nearby factories. The parish also includes a large rural area and the Llwyn Onn estate on the outskirts of Wrexham, all of which are governed by Abenbury Community Council