Castle Bolton, from the castle
Castle Bolton is the village adjoining Bolton Castle in Wensleydale, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, and it takes its name from the castle, which looks over the village green. The population of the civil parish was less than 100 at the 2011 Census.
The village was largely constructed after the nearby castle. The houses were used by the retinue of Mary Queen of Scots when she was imprisoned in the castle.
The Dales artist Fred Lawson came for a holiday in 1910, set up his artist's studio in the middle of the village and loved it so much he never left.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Castle Bolton)