Berners Roding is a village and ancient parish in the Dunmow hundred of Essex. Together with Abbess Roding and Beauchamp Roding it has formed the civil parish of Abbess, Beauchamp and Berners Roding since 1946. The village is included in the eight hamlets and villages called The Rodings. Berners Roding is six miles west of the county town of Chelmsford.
According to A Dictionary of British Place Names, Roding derives from "Rodinges" as is listed in the Domesday Book and recorded earlier as such at c.1050. 'Berners' Roding is not listed in Domesday.
The village, and ancient parish, was traditionally known as Berners Roothing. The parish church was appropriated to the monastery of St Leonard, at Bow in Middlesex. The daughter of Sir James Berners, Juliana Berners of the Order of Saint Benedict, writer on heraldry, hawking and hunting, and prioress of the Priory of St Mary of Sopwell, was born in the parish.
The registers of the church of All Saints' (deconsecrated in 1985 and privately owned) date to 1538. The 1848 living was a perpetual curracy, held by the rector of Margaret Roothing, and in the gift or donative of the Lord of the Manor. In 1882 the living was in the gift of a Colonel Bramston, and held by the rector of Willingale Doe, part of today's Willingale, where the children of Berners Roding attended school. In 1848 Berners Roothing parish land of 1,030 acres supported a population of 103. Crops grown at the time were chiefly wheat, barley and beans, on a heavy soil with a clay subsoil. Parish occupations included three farmers in 1848, and two in 1882.
- Mills, Anthony David (2003); A Dictionary of British Place Names, Oxford University Press, revised edition (2011), p.392. ISBN 019960908X
- White's Directory of Essex 1848
- Kelly's Directory of Essex 1882 pp.245-247
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Berners Roding)
- Abbess, Beauchamp and Berners Roding Parish Council official website including Berners Roding description. Retrieved 10 February 2018