St Edmund's Church, Abbess Roding
|Brentwood & Ongar|
Its name derives from the Abbess of Barking who was a patron of the parish church of St Edmund in the Middle Ages.
It is an ancient parish, but along with the neighbouring ancient parishes of Beauchamp Roding and Berners Roding, it has formed part of the civil parish of Abbess Beauchamp and Berners Roding since 1946.
Abbess Roding recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Roinges in the Hundred of Ongar, when it was part of the land of Geoffrey de Mandeville and was held by Geoffrey Martel. To the north, the ancient parish extends into Dunmow Hundred, although the village and church lie in Ongar hundred.
- "Abbess, Beauchamp and Berners Roding Parish Council - Key Contacts". www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk. http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/local_democracy/democratic_services/default.asp?modgovlink=http%3A%2F%2Frds.eppingforestdc.gov.uk%2FmgParishCouncilDetails.asp%3FID%3D321. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- Williams, Ann; G H Martin. Domesday Book: A Complete Translation. London: Penguin. pp. 1012; 1303. ISBN 978-0-14-143994-5.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Abbess Roding)