Wootton St Lawrence
|Wootton St Lawrence|
Church of St Lawrence
|Council:||Basingstoke and Deane|
The manor of Wooton was a possession of the Prior and Convent of St Swithun (Winchester) from the time of the Domesday Book until the dissolution of the monasteries. Wooton oak timber was used to reconstruct Winchester Cathedral nave c. 1390 by William of Wykeham.
The Dean and Chapter of Winchester sold the manor to William Wither in 1649. However, the manor was reclaimed by the church after the Restoration of King Charles II and the family received no compensation.
The manor returned to the family after the purchase by the Reverend Lovelace Bigg-Wither in 1863, but he sold it to the Bates family 10 years later.
The parish church is St Lawrence, which lends its name to the village. This was a mediæval church but it was rebuilt in a vigorous restoration in 1864, retaining the 12th century north arcade and tower and some of the 14th century windows.
- "Wooton St Lawrence". Key To English Place Names. English Place Name Society. http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/map/place/Hampshire/Wooton%20St.%20Lawrence. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "HantsWeb - Wootton St Lawrence". http://www3.hants.gov.uk/localpages/north-east/basingstoke/wootton.htm. Retrieved 23 August 2010.