Wootton Fitzpaine church
|Population:||345 (2011, parish)|
Wootton Fitzpaine consists primarily of two small centres: a larger western part comprising the village hall and about fifty densely placed houses, and a smaller eastern part comprising about a dozen houses, the church and manor house.
The village is sited on Middle Lias and greensand and has a history of being agriculturally relatively prosperous.
The village name derives from 'Wodetone', meaning a "Wood Farmstead", adding the name of the manorial family, Fitzpaine.
The parish church was built mostly between the 13th and 15th centuries but was restored and added to in 1872. It stands within the grounds of the adjacent Wootton House, a three-storey brick-built house constructed around 1765 but also restored and added to in the late 19th century.
The rectory dates from the end of the 15th century.
Twenty structures within the parish are listed buildings.
Footpaths and trails
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Wootton Fitzpaine)
- "Wootton Fitzpaine". Dorset OPC Project. 2013. http://www.opcdorset.org/WoottonFitzpaineFiles/WoottonFitzpaine.htm. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "The Char Valley Village Communities Action Plans 2003. Wootton Fitzpaine Parish". http://www.charvalleypc.co.uk/action_plans/ap06.htm. Retrieved 12 November 2013. (Note: this document is also published by Dorset County Council at dorsetforyou.co.uk)
- Ralph Wightman (1983). Portrait of Dorset (4 ed.). Robert Hale Ltd. p. 160. ISBN 0 7090 0844 9.
- "Wootton Fitzpaine". The Dorset Historic Churches Trust. http://www.dorsethistoricchurchestrust.co.uk/wotonftzpane.htm. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1
- West Dorset Holiday and Tourist Guide. West Dorset District Council. c. 1983. p. 22.