Woodhouse Eaves church and war monument
Woodhouse Eaves is a village on the side of Beacon Hill, in Leicestershire. It has a mixture of small and large modern houses, although it is more dense in old houses, making it one of the most expensive villages in the county.
It is a sizeable rural village, having several pubs and a few shops (including a SPAR). The village runs along several main streets, which run from Beacon Hill (a local country park and beauty spot) around the back of Windmill Hill and on towards The Brand and Swithland. The church and a group of houses around The Wheatsheaf are slightly separated from the village centre, in an area near The Brand.
There is an area of local authority housing on the main road, near Beacon Hill, and some modern housing, though much of the village is older, including a row of miners' stone cottages on the corner of Maplewell Road.
The church of St Paul is a granite building with a slate roof, constructed to the designs of William Railton in 1837 and extended by Ewan Christian in 1880.
In and about the village
Woodhouse Eaves has several pubs and restaurants, including the Woodhouse, the Pear Tree, the Old Bull's Head and the Curzon Arms.
In the centre of Woodhouse Eaves surrounded by a large wooded area along Brand Hill Lane was the former Bradgate Nursing Home, previously 'The Zachary Merton Convalescence Home to house injured war veterans. The home also contained a mental hospital wing known as Beacon Lodge. The building, which was not a listed building, was demolished in 2014.
The village has a King George V Playing Field.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Woodhouse Eaves)
- http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?id=189212 Retrieved 29 May 2011