St Mary's church, Widdington
|Post town:||Saffron Walden|
Widdington is a village and a parish in the Uttlesford hundred of Essex, near Saffron Walden. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 504. The village is located near the M11 motorway. Widdington has a church dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. Prior's Hall, now a private residence, is a rare survival of a stone-built structure from the late tenth or early eleventh centuries; Prior's Hall barn, from the fourteenth century, is nearby.
Widdington was recorded in the Domesday Book as Widituna. The entry reads: Widi(n)tuna: St Valery Abbey; Robert from Robert Gernon; Ranulf Peverel.
- "Parish population 2011". http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11130640&c=CB11+3RZ&d=16&e=62&g=6426362&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=0&s=1443282958741&enc=1. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- St Mary the Virgin, Widdington - Essex | Diocese of Chelmsford
- Prior's Hall Barn, Widdington, Essex:: OS grid TL5331 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland
- Smith, Nicola (July 2012). "The Anglo-Saxon mystery of Prior's Hall". British Archaeology (York: Council for British Archaeology) (125): 40–43. SSN 1357-4442.
- "Widdington in the Domesday Book". The National Archives. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?query=place%3Dwiddington&first_date=&last_date=&CatID=24&mediaArray=*&pageNumber=1&searchType=powersearch&queryType=1&sortSpec=first%5Fdate+desc.