Watch House Village
|Watch House Village|
Watch House Village: bridge over the Derry River
Watch House Village is a small village in County Wexford, on the east bank of the River Derry. It is a twin village of the much larger Clonegal in County Carlow on the other side of the river, which forms the county boundary.
The village is closely associated with the Irish Rebellion of 1798. Mementoes of the men who fought in several of the battles of the period are to be seen in and around the village and include ‘The Forge Stone’. Michael Connors, a blacksmith from Johnstown, fought at the Battle of Ballyellis, where he suffered a stomach wound. As he made his way home, he died near the Watch House cross and the stone from his forge can still be seen there.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Watch House Village)
- "Cromwell’s goliath no match for brave Carlovians". Carlow Nationalist. 2007-08-29. Archived from the original on 2007-11-18. https://web.archive.org/web/20071118183244/http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwojkfoj. Retrieved 2007-11-18.