Wallyford has a station on the Edinburgh to North Berwick railway line. It has a primary/nursery school, playgroup, community centre, church, library, post office, social club/groups and a few small convenience stores and takeaways. An industrial estate houses several small businesses. The village was initially populated by coal miners and later grew as an overspill/commuter town for workers in Musselburgh and Edinburgh. A tribute to the miners can be found marked on a stone through the main road (Salters Road) of the village. There has been a major investment in the area which has resulted in the building of many private homes. Excavation is now underway for further expansion of the village to create a new town centre, school and housing. The village is overlooked by the restored Fa'side Castle which was destroyed after the Battle of Pinkie in 1546.
- Victorian writer Margaret Oliphant was born in Wallyford on 4 April 1828. Among her best-known works were Katie Stewart, The Carlingford Chronicles and Tales of the Seen and Unseen. She died in Wimbledon on 25 June 1897 and was buried in Eton Cemetery in Buckinghamshire.
- Willie Park, Sr., the first and four-time winner of the Open Championship in golf, was born in Wallyford on 30 June 1833 and died on 25 July 1903.
- Former footballer and football manager Jock Wallace, Jr. was born in Wallyford on 6 September 1935. He went on to have a glittering career as manager of Rangers.
This Midlothian article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.