Ruins of church, destroyed in the 1884 earthquake
Virley is a village and ancient parish in the Winstree hundred of Essex, and forms part of the Winstred Hundred civil parish. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 61. The village is about seven miles south of Colchester. It is contiguous with Salcott to the south, the two being separated by the Salcott Creek.
Virley is among the villages which suffered damage from the 1884 Colchester earthquake; the village church was destroyed in the quake. It now forms a single ecclesiastical parish, Salcott-cum-Virley, with its southern neighbour.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|