The ruins of Tyninghame Kirk
Tyninghame is a coastal village in East Lothian. It is close by Whitekirk, with which it shares a parish ('Tyninghame and Whitekirk').
Tyninghame is an ancient parish that was joined to Whitekirk in 1761. The name is Old English, from Tinangaham, meaning 'Hamlet on the Tyne'. The original church at Tyninghame was founded by St Baldred an Anchorite described as the "Apostle of the Lothians". In 941 AD, the church and village of Tyninghame was destroyed by Olaf Goðfriþsson, the Norse King of Dublin, who died at Brunanburh in 941.
The oldest extant records give the superiors of the lands of Tyninghame as the Archdiocese of Saint Andrews, doubtless because of its connection with St Baldred. From at least the end of the 11th century the lands were occupied by the Lauder of The Bass family, and in 1628 passed to the Earl of Haddington. In June 1617 the Lauders are recorded as being the patrons of the church there, and the Session Book records that they provided for the new sacramental vessels for communion that year: "Suma of money to be payit be the Ladie Bass, six scor pundis, ane pund, five s." Relations between The Church and the local patrons were not always good and it is recorded on 4 February 1621, that a fine was paid: "Given be the Ladie Bass for penaltie of her servand quha brak ye Sabbothe, 18s".
In 1761 the Earl of Haddington moved Tyninghame village from its original position, to the west of the policies of Tyninghame House to make way for landscaped parkland.
Tyninghame House, a category A listed building, is located to the east of the village by the estuary of the River Tyne. It stands adjacent to the site of the original village, and within the gardens can be seen the remains of St Baldred's church.
There was a manor at Tyninghame in 1094, and it was later a property of the Lauder of The Bass family. In the 17th century it was sold to the Earl of Haddington. The present building dates from 1829 when the 9th Earl of Haddington employed William Burn to greatly enlarge the house in the Baronial style. In 1987 the contents of the house were sold, and the house was divided into flats.
- Hannan, Thomas, FSA (Scot)., Famous Scottish Houses, London, 1928: 181
- Stewart-Smith, J., The Grange of St. Giles, Edinburgh, 1898: 203 – 227, 'The Lauders of Tyninghame'
- F H Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland. Edinburgh 1883